African Liberty is thrilled to announce the application call for its 2023 African Liberty essay competition. The competition is open to any African student currently enrolled in any undergraduate or graduate program at any accredited university worldwide.
Call for entry: September 1, 2023
Deadline: October 31, 2023
Title: Pathways to Protecting Free Speech in Africa: Opportunities for New Approaches to an Old Problem
Word count: 800 maximum
- Entry should be in English language, with non-English words italicized.
- Entry must be original.
- Entry must be submitted as a PDF with the writer’s name and email address provided on the first page.
- No footnotes or citation
- Quotations should be limited
- Essay must be in Times New Roman, 12-point font, and justified.
- Winner: $500 cash prize
- First runner-up: $300 cash prize
- Second runner-up: $200 cash price
- Third and Fourth runners-up: $100 each.
- The top 5 entries will be published on African Liberty and Students For Liberty platforms.
Criteria to apply
- Must be of African descent by virtue of holding the nationality of an African country
- Must be enrolled in any degree program at any accredited university anywhere in the world or must have completed a degree program in no more than three years from the day of the application deadline.
- Entry must be solution-oriented
- Entry must be specific in arguments and recommendations
- Solutions with unique outlooks are strongly encouraged
All entries should be submitted via this link: bit.ly/alessays2023